Horn Dispatch Weekly Security Brief 12.19.23

Somalia's army took control of the presidential palace and parliament security from AU troops on Sunday. (Photo credit: ATMIS)

Somali Forces Assumes Security of Presidential Palace, Parliament

Somali security forces have taken security responsibilities of the presidential palace and parliament on Sunday.

The African Union Transition Mission (ATMIS) forces handed the presidential palace and the parliament to the government forces as the drawdown of the African troops continued.

“[The handing over] symbolizes the Federal government commitment and preparedness to assume full security responsibilities for Somalia,” the AU mission said.

The two government institutions have been under the African Union forces since 2007.

The transfer of security responsibilities and the withdrawal of African forces from Somalia are in line with the United Nations Security Council Resolution that calls for the withdrawal of 3,000 troops by the end of 2023.

The AU forces have handed several military posts and bases to the Somali forces in the country.

Ex-Government Official Jailed for Working With al-Shabab

A military court in Mogadishu has sentenced a former government official to five years in jail for working with the terrorist group al-Shabab.

Abukar Salat Mohamud was found guilty of being a member of al-Shabab and transporting the injured or sick fighters from the battlefield to the capital, Mogadishu, for treatment.

Mohamud served as the deputy commissioner of Hamarweyne and Hodan districts in Mogadishu from 2014 until 2019, before joining al-Shabab.

Somali Court Jails IS Members

A Somali military court has sentenced two Islamic State (IS) terror group members to eight years in prison for their roles in a terror attack in the capital, Mogadishu.

The IS members Abdiqani Adan Ali and Ahmed Ali Diriye were found guilty of working with the terror group to cause harm to the population.

Ali was arrested on October 16 by security forces on patrol while carrying two F1 bombs. Diriye, who was located in a mosque in the Dharkenley district of the Banadir region, was supposed to receive the explosives.

The court also found that Ali and Diriye previously worked with militant group al-Shabab before joining IS.

Somali Army Takes Control of Runirgood Town

The Somali government has seized control of the region’s final remaining district from the militant group al-Shabab.

Following the retreat of al-Shabab fighters from the town, Somali forces took control of Runirgood, in Middle Shabelle last week.

The government forces were targeted by land mines as they entered town, but no one was hurt in the blast, According to Radio Shabelle.

According to reports, there was still tension in the town as militants were seen regrouping on the outskirts of town, planning an offensive to reclaim the town.

The town of Runirgood has changed hands multiple times, but authorities say they are determined not to lose it to al-Shabab again.

Somali Army Captures al-Shabab Base

The Somali National Army, Regiment 18 comprising Gorgor, Danab, Galmudug Darwish, and local militias, captured militant base and hideouts in Babad mountain in the Mudug region, south of Shabeelow.

Major Abdi Mohamed Sulnug, the commander of Regiment 18 of Gorgor, reported to state-owned media that the security operation conducted on Friday had been effective, resulting in the seizure of the al-Shabab military base and the retreat of fighters from the area.

Four Arrested for the Death of Two Brothers in Central Somalia

The Somali National Intelligence Agency officers have arrested four people suspected for the recent killing of two brothers in the Ilix area, Guriel district, Galgaduud region.

The four accused were captured in the Middle Shabelle region while trying to escape.

The two brothers were Dr. Ahmed Hassan Osman, a dentist working at a medical center in Buuhoodle, who came to Galgaduud to visit his family, and Liban Hassan Osman, an Islamic school teacher in the same area.

The accused will be turned over to legal authorities for prosecution.

Four Killed, Two Injured in an IED Attack in Kenya

Kenya police say at least four people were killed and two others injured in a roadside bomb in Garissa.

According to the police, the victim’s vehicle ran over an improvised explosive device that was planted along the Dadaab-Garissa road.

The blast damaged the vehicle and the injured were in a critical condition.

The police said they increased security operations to prevent further attacks in the region bordering Somalia.

Get in touch contact@horndispatch.com